Position: Technical Analyst
Term of Position: Full Time
Closing Date: August 20, 2017
Location: Ottawa, Toronto, or Calgary
The Technical Analyst is responsible for providing technical, research and analytical support to all projects & proposals and to all levels of management in the company. Technical Analysts will be primarily responsible for analyzing and quantifying greenhouse gas and other emissions for a range of companies and organizations. Analysts will also be called upon to conduct research, analyze the findings and write pieces to contribute to reports and briefings.
The role requires excellent support skills, including clear communications, analytical and strategic competencies, and an appetite for taking the initiative around opportunities as they present themselves. More experienced analysts will be assigned project management duties as appropriate. The best candidates will be comfortable with both technical assessment work and non-technical work related to policy, broader sustainability, etc., and posses excellent written and oral communication skills.
Analysts are expected to participate in the company’s corporate social responsibility activities and undertake administrative tasks as requested.
Research & Projects – General Responsibilities
- Support projects, with the accountability for delivering research, analysis and general project support to senior management.
- Undertake web and literature research for specific projects.
- Develop initial analysis of research findings for draft reports and deliverables to clients.
- Undertake consultation activities including phone interviews, one-on-one consultations, survey development, etc.
- Preparation of and assistance with the development of draft reports and key subject briefs including content review and preparation, format and presentation enhancement, etc.
- Preparation of tables, graphs and charts.
- Hold accountability for completing specific elements of client projects / work.
- Under guidance from senior management, lead projects of various sizes commensurate with experience.
Specific Greenhouse Gas Emission (GHG) / Technical Responsibilities
- Serve as a specialist in the calculation of GHG emissions and emission reductions, and other environmental metrics.
- Perform project and program assessments and feasibility studies to estimate or report on actual GHG reductions and environmental co-benefits associated with specific initiatives/projects.
- Consider the implications of GHG policy and legislation when preparing GHG analyses for projects and organizations
- Assist in developing GHG reduction strategies and valuation models for clients.
- Act as a general resource for technical and technological aspects of GHG reducing projects and activities.
- Support the development of proposals including writing content and assembling information for various sections.
- Preparation of presentations for technical and non-technical audiences of various kinds
- Take a proactive approach to promoting Delphi’s accomplishments and projects through individual marketing, participation and presentations at related conferences and events.
- A university degree in science or engineering and/or equivalent experience, including demonstrated ability to approach problems from an engineering perspective and general comfort level with analyzing and assessing relevant processes and technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to prioritize, multitask and organize work efficiently, in order to meet budgetary and timeline constraints
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills
- Proficiency developing and using spreadsheets and other standard software packages.
- Strong ability to research literature and internet based sources, consolidate information into concise findings, proficient analytical skills and effectively communicate results.
- 0-3 years of related employment experience and/or post-graduate study.
Valuable Assets (preference will be given to candidates with one or more of the following)
- Past work, academic and/or other experience with GHG or other air emissions.
- Prior experience working as a consultant
- Knowledge and experience with corporate GHG and sustainability reporting practices, strategy development and relevant standards / programs such as ISO 14064, WRI GHG Protocol, CDP, GRI, etc.
- Experience in one or more major Canadian industrial or economic sectors
- Demonstrated ability to develop advanced MS Excel-based tools and/or models, including utilizing VBA or other advanced techniques and employing user-friendly features and polished designs / interfaces
- Knowledge of Canadian, US and/or international climate change and sustainability policy, regulations, and programs
- Knowledge of and experience with data monitoring and quality management systems, ideally in an industrial or similar context
- Experience with basic economic analytical techniques such as NPV, IRR, etc.
- Familiarity with GHG, financial, or related auditing principles and methodologies, including relevant international standards for GHG validation and verification.
- Experience using and designing databases
- Experience with data visualization software and tools such as Tableau and Power BI
- French language abilities
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter (in Word or PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line.