Maternity leave replacement
Leading Change is seeking an Executive Director with a proven track record of leadership, commitment to sustainable development, and a belief in the power of youth to drive ambitious change. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the operations, programs, fundraising, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include marketing, staff and volunteer management, and community engagement.
This is a full-time, 13-month maternity leave replacement position with the option to work remotely anywhere in Canada.
About Leading Change and the Constellation Model we operate in
Leading Change Canada is a national not-for-profit supporting a Canada-wide network of young sustainability leaders and professionals between the ages of 19-35. We act as the “connective tissue” between youth organizations, initiatives, and individuals and equip them with the knowledge, networks, and platforms needed to create real, substantiated positive change. Our flagship program is the Leading Change Forum, held biennially in parallel with the GLOBE Forum since 2004.
Leading Change operates in a constellation model with three other leading sustainability organizations: The Delphi Group, GLOBE Series, and EXCEL Partnership. This arrangement offers shared services across the areas of marketing, communications, IT, accounting, and human resources. Our shared vision is to achieve a sustainable, prosperous, and socially just future in a generation.
- Working with the Board of Directors to refine the bylaws and governance structure for the organization
- Reporting quarterly to the Board of Directors and annually to members on progress towards the strategic plan and financial targets
- Ensuring all legal and filing deadlines are met to maintain not-for-profit status
- Exploring with the Board of Directors the possibility of pursuing charitable status for the organization
- Leading iterations and continued development of a strategic plan for the organization, along with annual workplan and budget to execute
- Continuing market research of similar organizations nationally and globally, along with other due diligence research essential to establishing and maintaining a strong not-for-profit entity
- Identifying sources of funding (e.g. grants, corporate partners, Foundations, etc.) for operations and programs
- Working with the Board of Directors and constellation sales leads to develop key messages and materials for funders
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key funders and donors
- Securing and judiciously managing funds and budgets for programs, events, and operations
- Recruiting, evaluating, and hiring of any new Leading Change staff
- Providing supervision and professional development support for staff
- Organizing and leading meetings with the Leading Change youth Steering Committee
- Leading the annual evaluation, and when necessary recruitment, of youth Steering Committee members
Event and Project Management
- Leading the execution of the Leading Change activities surrounding Leading Change and GLOBE Capital 2021 (April 12-15, 2021; virtual)
- Leading the execution of the Leading Change activities surrounding Leading Change and GLOBE Forums 2022 (Winter 2022; Vancouver, BC)
- Coordinating staff and volunteers responsible for putting on these and other Leading Change events
- Working with other members of the constellation to help support youth activation initiatives in partnership with GLOBE, The Delphi Group, and EXCEL Partnership
Marketing and Communications
- Working with the Leading Change Communications Coordinator, volunteers, and/or GLOBE marketing team to develop materials to promote events and initiatives
- Developing PowerPoint presentations and materials to clearly communicate Leading Change’s unique value proposition to potential funders, partners, and participants
- Taking a proactive approach to promoting Leading Change accomplishments and projects through participation and presentations at related conferences and events
Research and Projects
- Supporting cross-constellation projects, with the accountability for delivering research and general project support to senior management
- Undertaking consultation activities including phone interviews, survey development, etc. with key Leading Change stakeholders
- Preparing of and assisting with the development of client and funder reports including content preparation and review, format and presentation enhancement, etc.
Experience and Attributes
- Personal values aligned with our organization’s mission, vision, and goals
- Exceptional written and communication skills
- Exceptional facilitation and moderating skills relating to high-stakes or polarizing topics
- Knowledge of sustainability and environment-related concepts
- Knowledge of business and policy-related concepts
- Understanding of the importance of community building and silo-breaking in the transition to a sustainable, prosperous, and socially just future
- Demonstrated ability to secure funding for organizations doing social purpose work
- Accounting, finance, and project management experience
- Track record of building, supporting, or leading effective teams
- Experience in a leadership position of a non-profit or related organization is an asset
- Bilingualism (English/French) is an asset
Anticipated start date: March 1, 2021
Location: Based in Canada with option to work remotely as we monitor the evolving COVID-19 crisis
Reporting to: Leading Change Board Director Chair
Annual salary: $50,000 – $65,000 depending on experience
Training, professional development, and ongoing guidance will be offered. The candidate will benefit from additional soft skill development and opportunities to learn through a broad network of environment and sustainability professionals.
Leading Change values and encourages the contributions of individuals who identify as members of communities traditionally underrepresented in positions of leadership or power (Black, Indigenous, persons with disability, visible minorities, LGBTQI2+). We recognize that structural barriers shape experiences and opportunities and take this into consideration with screening and selection decisions.
How to apply
Please submit a CV and 1-page cover letter through our online application portal. Interested candidates should submit their application by or before January 18, 2021 at 12:00 PM EST.